Is my SpamAssassin working?

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Thu Aug 4 00:19:29 IST 2005

Daniel Straka wrote:
> I'm an idiot...if you caught my last post's subject line...
>
> Is my SpamAssassin working?

Decidedly NOT. That lint output is frighteningly scary.

> [root at mail1 spamassassin]# spamassassin -D -p
> /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf \--lint
> debug: Score set 0 chosen.
> debug: using "/usr/share/spamassassin" for default rules dir
> debug: using "/etc/mail/spamassassin" for site rules dir
> debug: using "/root/.spamassassin" for user state dir
> debug: using "/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf" for user prefs file
> Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping:
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
> Failed to parse line in SpamAssassin configuration, skipping:
> /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.saved

It looks like you've got the output of ls in a file somewhere that SA is parsing.

Read carefully. It's not complaining it can't parse the file
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf, it's complaining that it found a line
containing that literal text in one of the configfiles!

Clearly no file SA parses should have "/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf" as a
text line in the file.

I'd venture to guess you've got garbage in /etc/mail/spamassassin/*.cf (SA will
read all .cf files in that directory)

> debug: bayes: no dbs present, cannot scan: /usr/log/spamassassin_toks

That looks like you've got:
	bayes_path /usr/log/spamassassin

Which isn't right, you want:
	bayes_path /usr/log/spamassassin/bayes

Bayes_path actually isn't just a path, it's a path plus partial filename, and SA
will append "_toks", "_seen", etc. to it.