Cluster of MailScanners

Richard D Alloway ralloway at WINBEAM.COM
Mon Apr 25 18:25:58 IST 2005

Or, you could use 1 MX record and have multiple A records for that 1 MX record.

I have 6 MailScanner machines and fairly evenly spread the load across them
this way (in semi-zonefile format):

mydomain.com    IN      MX      0       smtp-gateway.mydomain.com

smtp-gateway.mydomain.com       IN      A       192.168.0.1
smtp-gateway-1.mydomain.com     IN      A       192.168.0.1
smtp-gateway.mydomain.com       IN      A       192.168.0.2
smtp-gateway-2.mydomain.com     IN      A       192.168.0.2
smtp-gateway.mydomain.com       IN      A       192.168.0.3
smtp-gateway-3.mydomain.com     IN      A       192.168.0.3
smtp-gateway.mydomain.com       IN      A       192.168.0.4
smtp-gateway-4.mydomain.com     IN      A       192.168.0.4
smtp-gateway.mydomain.com       IN      A       192.168.0.5
smtp-gateway-5.mydomain.com     IN      A       192.168.0.5
smtp-gateway.mydomain.com       IN      A       192.168.0.6
smtp-gateway-6.mydomain.com     IN      A       192.168.0.6

In order to satisfy the forward/reverse lookups of some servers:

192.168.0.1     IN      PTR     smtp-gateway-1.mydomain.com
192.168.0.2     IN      PTR     smtp-gateway-2.mydomain.com
192.168.0.3     IN      PTR     smtp-gateway-3.mydomain.com
192.168.0.4     IN      PTR     smtp-gateway-4.mydomain.com
192.168.0.5     IN      PTR     smtp-gateway-5.mydomain.com
192.168.0.6     IN      PTR     smtp-gateway-6.mydomain.com

We have no problems and no complaints doing this this way.

-Richard D Alloway, Esq
  Chief Technical Officer
  Winbeam