Debian/mqueue.in issue

Dean Liversidge dean at MYSTERIOUSPLANET.CO.UK
Sun Apr 24 23:07:31 IST 2005

David Thurman wrote:

>I have searched the mailing list, google and my old notes, I had to reload a
>new debian server here and installed ver. Sarge, used the testing version of
>MS (4.40.11) and SA (3.0.2) and am having MAJOR issues getting sendmail to
>drop mail into the /var/spool/mqueue.in
>
>I set sendmail.conf with:
>
>DAEMON_PARMS="-bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn -ODeliveryMode=queueonly
>-OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in";
>
>Did a make, also did a sendmailconfig, stopped, and then started sendmail,
>also MS but still no luck with mail going to the mqueue.in first.
>
>Mail is going directly to /var/spool/mqueue

My setup isn't a clean build, but a fairly recent build, thats updated
to the latest packages, so i may not see the same issues...

Check to see if all the sendmail processes are stopping correctly before
starting again.. Maybe there is stray one loose...
I've seen it before where an old process hasn't stopped, so hasnt
reloaded the new config

 > /etc/init.d/sendmail stop
if needed
 > killall sendmail
then start again
 > /etc/init.d/sendmail start

You shouldn't need the '-bd' in the prams, the runlevel script puts -bd
in the command line (MTAL_PARMS="$MTAL_PARMS -bd $DAEMON_PARMS";)
DAEMON_MODE="Daemon";
DAEMON_PARMS="-OPrivacyOptions=noetrn -ODeliveryMode=queueonly
-OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in";

>My sendmail.cf shows correct though the /etc/init.d/sendmail doesn't seem to
>be written to correctly, I even manually edited this file. Still same
>effect, mail going to the wrong queue.
>
>I do see this when I do a ps aux:
>
>root      2494  0.0  0.3  6440 2424 ?        Ss   13:41   0:00 sendmail:
>MTA: Queue runner at 00:10:00 for /var/spool/mqueue
>
>I am at a loss as to where this is coming from, I did read about somehow
>related to submit.mc but I am starting to get a little confused on this.

I'm not quite sure what you mean with 'written to correctly' ?

You will still get a process showing for mqueue, as that process the
queue mail after mailscanner has played about with it.
You'll not see mqueue in the ps list, it just shows 'accepting connections'

To see whats happening, push your log level up, I use 12, as I like to
see aliases being processed for fault tracing:

e.g. sendmail.conf:
MISC_PARMS="-OLogLevel=12";
 > sendmailconfig

Also stop and start sendmail, rather than restart it, not sure why, but
when i let sendmailconfig restart i didn't get the logging i expected??

Then check maillog for the line showing the mta process starting, and
you can then check the PID with ps if you want to:

hell:/etc/mail# grep mqueue.in /var/log/mail.log |tail -1
Apr 24 22:48:32 hell sm-mta[24607]: started as: /usr/sbin/sendmail-mta
-Am -L sm-mta -bd -OPrivacyOptions=noetrn -ODeliveryMode=queueonly
-OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in -OLogLevel=12

hell:/etc/mail# ps fax |grep 24607
24607 ?        Ss     0:00 sendmail: MTA: accepting
connections