Upgrade Problems

Ken Goods KGoods at AIAINSURANCE.COM
Wed Apr 13 21:41:41 IST 2005

Julian Field wrote:
> Ken Goods wrote:
>
>>.... However when I run
>> spamassassin -D --lint it also shows version 3.0.0 and produces no
>> errors.
>>

> Look for the file SpamAssassin.pm in your /usr/lib/perl5 directories,
> find /usr/lib/perl5 -name SpamAssassin.pm -print
> as it's possible that MailScanner is finding a different version of
> SpamAssassin from where other scripts find it. Do you have an RPM of
> SpamAssassin installed? If so, then remove it with "rpm -e
> spamassassin".

Julian... I've always thought you were a genius but now I know for sure. ;)
I did have an errant old V2.63 rpm out there. Don't understand why it waited
until now to rear it's ugly head. shrug... Fixed that, now it seems to be
calling the correct (and only, as far as I can tell) spamassassin. Now I
have a new problem. Spams that were normally caught are not. Looking at the
headers it doesn't even appear that most rules are being checked. i.e.

        required 5, autolearn=not spam)

but to confuse things a little more it does appear that the SPF rule is
working...

        required 5, SPF_HELO_FAIL 0.00)

and

        required 5, SPF_HELO_SOFTFAIL 3.14)

These are all definitely spam/male enhancement type emails and should have
hit on several rules including SURBL's. DNS is fine. I went through
MailScanner.conf with a fine toothed comb and looked at
spam.assassin.prefs.cf, local.cf, etc... etc.. and don't see anything out of
the ordinary. Running spamassassin -D --lint shows the correct version and
the rules being loaded. It finishes with no errors. Is there something else
I can do to troubleshoot this? I also sent myself a GTUBE from another
domain and it slipped right through.... could really use a couple ideas
before the masses come down here to the dungeon with torches and wooden
pitchforks... :)

>> which clamav returns: /usr/bin/which: no clamav in

(/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>> :/root/bin)
>>

> You want "which clamscan".

That also got me going in the right direction and fixed me up, Thanks! I'm
learning... :) I ended up installing it from YUM using Dag's site... worked
like a champ I may stick to rpms as they have not hurt anything (so far).

Thanks for all your help, you're a Saint!

Ken Goods
Network Administrator
AIA Insurance, Inc.