Upgrade Problems

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Apr 13 21:52:13 IST 2005

Ken Goods wrote:

>Julian Field wrote:
>

>>Ken Goods wrote:
>>

>>>.... However when I run
>>>spamassassin -D --lint it also shows version 3.0.0 and produces no
>>>errors.
>>>

>>Look for the file SpamAssassin.pm in your /usr/lib/perl5 directories,
>>find /usr/lib/perl5 -name SpamAssassin.pm -print
>>as it's possible that MailScanner is finding a different version of
>>SpamAssassin from where other scripts find it. Do you have an RPM of
>>SpamAssassin installed? If so, then remove it with "rpm -e
>>spamassassin".
>>

>Julian... I've always thought you were a genius but now I know for sure. ;)
>I did have an errant old V2.63 rpm out there. Don't understand why it waited
>until now to rear it's ugly head. shrug... Fixed that, now it seems to be
>calling the correct (and only, as far as I can tell) spamassassin. Now I
>have a new problem. Spams that were normally caught are not. Looking at the
>headers it doesn't even appear that most rules are being checked. i.e.

>        required 5, autolearn=not spam)
>
>but to confuse things a little more it does appear that the SPF rule is
>working...

>        required 5, SPF_HELO_FAIL 0.00)
>
>and

>        required 5, SPF_HELO_SOFTFAIL 3.14)
>
>These are all definitely spam/male enhancement type emails and should have
>hit on several rules including SURBL's. DNS is fine. I went through
>MailScanner.conf with a fine toothed comb and looked at
>spam.assassin.prefs.cf, local.cf, etc... etc.. and don't see anything out of
>the ordinary. Running spamassassin -D --lint shows the correct version and
>the rules being loaded. It finishes with no errors. Is there something else
>I can do to troubleshoot this? I also sent myself a GTUBE from another
>domain and it slipped right through.... could really use a couple ideas
>before the masses come down here to the dungeon with torches and wooden
>pitchforks... :)

In MailScanner.conf set "Debug = yes" and "Debug SpamAssassin = yes"
then stop MailScanner, then run check_MailScanner. It will spew out a
load of stuff from SpamAssassin. Page back up it (Shift+PageUp) and go
through the output carefully to make sure it is searching the
directories where all your SpamAssassin *.cf files are stored. You
should be able to find "50_scores.cf" for example in one of the
directories it is searching.

Also do a "MailScanner -v" and check it is finding all the modules (and
their versions) that you think it should be finding, paying particular
attention to things like MIME-Base64 version 3.something and your
SpamAssassin version.

>>>which clamav returns: /usr/bin/which: no clamav in
>>>

>(/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>

>>>:/root/bin)
>>>

>>You want "which clamscan".
>>

>That also got me going in the right direction and fixed me up, Thanks! I'm
>learning... :) I ended up installing it from YUM using Dag's site... worked
>like a champ I may stick to rpms as they have not hurt anything (so far).

Just whichever place you start using these RPMs from (Dag's is just
fine) make sure you stick to it.

--
Julian Field