Configuring sendmail to drop invalid users

Rob rob at THEHOSTMASTERS.COM
Tue Sep 28 21:54:05 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
I have a question I am confused about, how do most people here use sendmail?
I mean I simply use sendmail as is out of box, so to speak with a couple
additions like Mailscanner and such. But I do not have, let me see if the
term is right, "virtual domains and users"??

I host about 50 or so domains on my sendmail box , running on redhat 9.0

They way it works now is, if you send mail to rob at domain.com, the user rob
on the system will get it. so if you sent it to rob at domain.com or
domain2.com or any other domain I accept mail for , rob will get it.

Now is this what most people do? As I get some clients asking me to stop
email going to joe at domain.com as he is joe at domain2.com but he gets the email
going to joe at domain.com

if I need to have 2 robs at a domain.com I simply create system user rob2
and forward rob at domain.com to rob2 in my virtualusertable file, and leave
the original rob there, where any other rob at domain2.com will go.

have I confused everyone now??

But I would like to simply have a set up where I can have multiple robs on
multiple domains without doing this and if email is sent to rob at domain.com
and there is no rob at domain.com but there is at domain2.com I want the email
rejected for rob at domain.com

sorry if this should not be discussed on this list....

But any info would be appreciated...

:)

Rob....