mcafee autoupdate

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at RFA.ORG
Thu Sep 16 21:21:19 IST 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 04:05:22PM -0400, Eric Dantan Rzewnicki wrote:
> I recently updated from MailScanner 4.28.6 to 4.33.3. In
> /opt/MailScanner/lib/mcafee-autoupdate PREFIX is set to /opt/uvscan. Is
> this new, or did I simply forget I needed to change this when upgrading?
> The update script was working correctly, pulling down new DATs to
> /opt/uvscan. But, uvscan here is in /usr/local/uvscan. We had a few
> Phish-BankFraud.eml trojans slip through today and get caught on users'
> desktop PCs by mcafee there, which brought my attention to this problem.
> Perhaps more troubling, as far as I can tell the sophos autoupdate is
> working correctly and pulling IDEs to the correct place, but sophos
> appears to have let this trojan get through anyway.
> I'm sorry if any of this has been discussed recently. I did do some
> searches in the archives and nothing recent came up.

Ugh. I see that if I were using update_virus_scanners this wouldn't have
happened since that script checks virus.scanners.conf and calls each
autoupdate script with the ${PACKAGEDIR} it pulls out of the .conf file
as a commanline argument.

I guess that's what I get for being different.

I suppose it is not recommended to use the individual autoupdate
scripts, but is it necessarily wrong to do so?

-Eric Rz.