spam getting through.

Ken Goods KGoods at AIAINSURANCE.COM
Wed Sep 15 17:37:10 IST 2004

Michele Neylon :: Blacknight Solutions scribbled on Wednesday, September 15,
2004 8:36 AM:

<*snip*>

> Although I would agree about spamcop I would tend to disagree
> with the use
> of SBL+XBL directly in MailScanner.conf
>
> I ran a little test on one of our servers the other day for a laugh.
>
> The test was totally random and not that scientific, but of the 20 odd
> emails that had been scored on spamhaus I found that at least 2 of
> them should not have been blocked outright

Michele,
You'd be horrified then to learn that I use SBL+XBL in sendmail before it
even hits MailScanner. It's been this way since May of this year and I've
not received one complaint. I process 3-8k messages a day for 25 users and
75%+ of that is spam, lets say an average of 3375 spams a day. SBL+XBL
through sendmail rejects about 60% of those, or  say an average of 2025
spams. This is 2025 messages that do not have to be processed by MS, SA, and
ClamAV greatly reducing the load on the server. It is, after all, a lowly
P233 with only 196MB of memory. :) Of course this how it works for me and I
couldn't recommend it for everyone. As you said, you need to test which I
did extensively before I went this route. (Watched it carefully for two
weeks with no false positives here.)

I can only say what works for me, YMMV, but anyone experiencing load
problems should at least take a look at how SBL+XBL performs in their
environment and *consider* (carefully) using SBL+XBL at the MTA.

IOW... "SBL+XBL been bery bery good to me" - Chico Carrasquel :)

SBL+XBL and SURBL catch the vast majority of the spams we get here with
MailScanner's content blocker pulling it's weight as well.

Kind regards,
Ken

Ken Goods
Network Administrator