Report "Message too large" to sender?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Sep 12 14:30:32 IST 2004

<x-flowed>
At 09:32 12/09/2004, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Recently we were forced to limit the size of messages sent by our network's
>users due to heavy traffic caused by "junk mail" - movies, wav files etc.
>Earlier we turned off reports to avoid excess internet traffic caused by
>sending notices to infected mail senders.
>What we would like to do is to send notices about the exceeded mail size to
>senders,

It appears to send the "sender.error.report.txt" message by virtue of the
setting:
Sender Error Report        = %report-dir%/sender.error.report.txt

>  but to local senders only. Is there a way to configure MailScanner
>to send only notices saying "Message too large" and only to local users
>(i.e. to senders from a certain domain)?

You would need to set
Notify Senders of Other Blocked Content = %rules-dir%/notify.senders.rules
in MailScanner.conf.
Then in /etc/MailScanner/rules/notify.senders.rules you should put