Report "Message too large" to sender?

Sebastian Plosarek sastian at OP.PL
Sun Sep 12 14:58:15 IST 2004

Julian,

Thanks for your reply again.

>> Is there a way to configure MailScanner
>> to send only notices saying "Message too large" and only to local users
>> (i.e. to senders from a certain domain)?

>You would need to set
>Notify Senders of Other Blocked Content = %rules-dir%/notify.senders.rules
>in MailScanner.conf.

When I look at the MailScanner.conf there is a condition which spoils it
all:

# *If* "Notify Senders" is set to yes, do you want to notify people
# who sent you messages containing other blocked content, such as
# partial messages or messages with external bodies?
# This can also be the filename of a ruleset.
Notify Senders Of Other Blocked Content = yes

I do not want to set "Notify Senders" to "yes" because that would seriously
increase the traffic - both in my local network and in the Internet due to
faking sender addresses by viruses and remote server notifications about
non-existence of addressee of the "Notify Sender" message.
Can I turn on the "Notify Senders Of Other Blocked Content *without*
turning on the "Notify Senders" option?

Ok, ok, I think I'm getting the point. I turn on the "Notify Senders"
option to "yes" and in /etc/MailScanner/rules/notify.senders.rules I
indicate that only my local domain should be affected by this rule. Do I
get it right?
Therefore the setting in /etc/MailScanner/rules/notify.senders.rules should
look like this:

From: my.domain.com        yes
FromOrTo: default               no

Can you check if I'm thinking right?