Report "Message too large" to sender?

Sebastian Plosarek sastian at OP.PL
Sun Sep 12 13:40:47 IST 2004

Julian,

Thanks for your reply again.

>So if you want different report files as a result of the rule, then put the
>filename in there instead.

Ok, that is understandable.

>So for example you could have rules that look like this sort of thing:
>To: @mydomain.com  /etc/MailScanner/reports/incoming.report.txt
>From: @mydomain.com /etc/MailScanner/reports/outgoing.report.txt

Good, but if I put a name of a report file in the "result" column of the
rule, where do I define what should happen to such message? Do I define it
in the report file? No, because that is only the message file, right?
So if I want to make a rule which will limit the outgoing mail to 5 MB I
can put this line in the MailScanner.conf:

Maximum Message Size = 5000000

however such setting will not cause the custom report file to be sent to
the sender of the message excessive in size, will it?

So I can put this line in the MailScanner.conf to use a custom rule:

Maximum Message Size = /opt/MailScanner/etc/rules/message.too.large.rules

this will point to the custom rule which I create, won't it?

And in the message.too.large.rules i put the following lines:

From:
server.com.pl /opt/MailScanner/etc/reports/en/message.too.large.report.txt
# (Can I define my own report file? Do I put any reulst IN the report file?)
From: server.com.pl 5000000
# (Can I define both the result of the rule and the report file I want to
use?)
From: default 0

Will such a configuration work?

Julian, I am pretty new to MailScanner - that's the reason for my lame
questions...

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best regards,
Sebastian Plosarek