Need clarification on whitelist rules

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri Oct 1 14:41:59 IST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Field" <mailscanner at ECS.SOTON.AC.UK>
To: <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2004 8:56 AM
Subject: Re: Need clarification on whitelist rules

> At 12:58 01/10/2004, you wrote:
> >I am using MailScanner 4.33.3-1 and am using the spam.whitelist.rules
file
> >to whitelist for a few customers that thought my scanning was to tight.
My
> >spam has gotten so much better with the latest version of MailScanner
that I
> >can actually go through the spam I do get and try to find a way to block
it.
> >It appears to me that if a message is sent to multiple recipients and one
of
> >those recipients is in the spam.whitelist.rules file that the message is
> >whitelisted for everyone.  Is this correct?
>
> Yes.
>
> >   If so is there a way to block
> >it to everyone other than the one whitelisted?
>
> What you need is a Custom Function that edits the recipients list in each
> message, according to whether they want to be filtered or not. I've done
> something like this already, just haven't yet published it.
>
> What form would people like it in? Added to the per-user white and black
> list code?
> It would have to be a simple "remove them from the message if it's in
their
> blacklist or not in their whitelist".

*******
I would still prefer a simple "global" entry in the spam.blacklist and
spam.whitelist files as opposed to the per-user prefs. With the "and" option
you have implemented, I feel this would suffice for us who do not use
per-user prefs in any form. I don't know, though, if this would be negated
by the envelop-only restrictions for email destinations. I'm just not
knowledgable enough about the specifics (or how to spell knowledgable.)
*******

> Can people see any problems with this? Something is nagging me that this
> isn't the correct functionality, but I can't see what the right answer is
> for definite.

> --
> Julian Field

*******
As I understand this, you would be looking at the CC & BC fields, along with
multiple recipients, and you would be getting away from just interrogating
the envelop. I see this exploding into a lot more code down the road, but
feel this would solve a lot of questions to the list.

I like it - if this is what is intended.

Thanks.
*******

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com