SA 3.0.1 and Bayes poisoning issue?

Marco Benton marco at XSSNET.COM
Sat Nov 6 04:47:29 GMT 2004

Matt Kettler wrote:

> At 11:21 AM 11/5/2004, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
>
>> I have in my spam.assassin.prefs.conf file the following:
>>
>> #---tweaks to combat neg bayes poisoning
>> score BAYES_00 0 0 -0.05 -0.05
>> score BAYES_01 0 0 -0.04 -0.04
>> score BAYES_10 0 0 -0.03 -0.03
>> score BAYES_20 0 0 -0.02 -0.02
>> score BAYES_30 0 0 -0.01 -0.01
>>
>> left over from the SA 2.64 era.  I'm wondering if I should remove
>> this now that I'm running SA 3.0.1.  Comments anybody?
>

> If you had bayes poisoning problems serious enough for you to have to do
> that, upgrading spamassassin will definitely NOT fix the problem.
>
> If you've got more than 0.01% of your spam matching BAYES_00 that's a
> serious mis-training problem, and there's nothing a SA upgrade can do to
> fix that. AFAIK no version of SA has ever had bayes poisoning problems if
> properly trained, and mine certainly never has (I've been using bayes
> since
> 2.53 came out)
>
> Bad training is bad training. Code can't fix bad training. Wipe out your
> database and start over.
>
> And beware.. Never rely on autolearning alone. You've got a good
> chance of
> the bayes DB starting off on the wrong foot and getting stuck there.
> At the
> very least hand-seed a handful of emails into sa-learn when you start
> off.

probably might be a good idea to have SA only learn on certain score
thresholds.

adjust these params:
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam

--

Marco Benton - BOFH, BSMFH
Network Consultant

BOFH excuse #371: The cause of the problem is: Forced to support NT servers; sysadmins quit.