MS performance as a gateway comments

Marco Benton marco at XSSNET.COM
Sat Nov 6 04:41:11 GMT 2004

Alan wrote:

>I'm running:
>70_sare_adult.cf      70_sare_unsub.cf               evilnumbers.cf
>70_sare_genlsubj0.cf  70_sare_uri.cf                 local.cf
>70_sare_header0.cf    70_sc_top200.cf                mangled.cf
>70_sare_html0.cf      72_sare_redirect_post3.0.0.cf  weeds.cf
>70_sare_oem.cf        99_FVGT_Tripwire.cf
>70_sare_specific.cf   chickenpox.cf
>
>But again, please note that my throughput and server load have NEVER been
>due to MS/SA. Whenever I had a large backlog in the incoming queue, if I
>shut down all the MTA processes, then MS/SA would scream through the queue
>just fine. The load has always been due to the resources taken by the MTAs.
>
>In any case, my point was simply that out of the available MTAs, I have seen
>a drastic performance improvement when using zmailer vs sendmail and exim.
>
>-Alan

have you tried configuring Sendmail to not fork off a process for each
message?  might slow sendmail down a bit but you wont use up all your
resources.

i think the sc_top200.cf is redundant if you are using spamcop RBL's.

--

Marco Benton - BOFH, BSMFH
Network Consultant

BOFH excuse #257: The cause of the problem is: That's easy to fix, but I can't be bothered.