bayes stopped working (now working)

Nick Meverden nmeverde at NP.K12.MN.US
Wed Nov 3 16:13:59 GMT 2004

> At 08:54 AM 11/3/2004, Nick Meverden wrote:
>>I noticed I was no longer getting autolearn=not spam in the email headers
>>so I removed auto-whitelist and auto-whitelist.mutex and restarted
>>MailScanner and bayes started working again.  Was this a corrupt
>>auto-whitelist db?
>
> Not likely.. It's more likely that MS killed SA while it had the AWL db
> locked, and this resulted in a lingering lockfile....
>
> Check your mail logs for mailscanner messages indicating that
> "SpamAssassin
> timed out and was killed".

> And of course, there's also some validity in the approach of disabling the
> AWL, but I'd still keep a close eye out for timeouts, they aren't a good
> thing. (Disabling bayes_auto_expire helps here, but be sure to use MS's
> rebuild feature so expiry can run.)

I thought that MailScanners rebuild feature just syned the journal file,
and SA ran the auto expire.  I have already disabled the auto expire in
spam.assassin.conf and have a script that runs in cron nightly that
expires it for me.  With the rebuild in MailScanner.conf set to daily
(which should snyc the journal,correct me if Im wrong)  Is anyone else
using AWL with MailScanner or has everyone just disabled it?

  thanks,

     - Nick