Second Server

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Tue May 25 16:15:46 IST 2004

On May 25, 2004, at 2:56 AM, Jan-Peter Koopmann wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 25, 2004 11:28 AM Mike Norton
> <mailto:mike.norton at JOBSITE.CO.UK> wrote:
>
>> I will have to forward any mail to be delivered to a pop mail
>> box to one of the servers, therefore putting a dependancy on
>> one of the machines always being up, is there anyway I can
>> aggregate the mail from both of the servers, e.g. some kind
>> of aggregation of pop mailboxes connecting locally and to a
>> remote mailbox at the same time ?
>
> Naturally the mail will have to be stored on one system. Of course you
> could fool around with high-availability solutions, high-end shared
> storage etc.

And, to finish out describing what we've done: this is the path we
wound up taking.  We're now migrating away from the "2 MX hosts + 1 POP
host" toward "a CommuniGate Pro dynamic cluster with 2 front ends and 2
back ends".  Not cheap though ($100k just for the software).

You COULD roll your own using something like courier for your mail
software, having the hosts deliver into NFS space (using maildir where
locking isn't a problem), and then both hosts have a better shot at
being 'equal', but you'll still want a load balancer, to avoid that
dual DNS record approach (for the problem I mentioned).

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk