Might be a feature request

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Sat May 22 04:14:16 IST 2004

Is there a way to make mailscanner put message numbers into its syslog
messagse?

I know it does this when it finds an issue (a virus or marks a message
as spam), but I'm also talking about:

1) when it finds messages for scanning.  For example:

May 20 10:48:09 copper.ucsc.edu MailScanner[29086]: New Batch: Found 3
messages waiting

This doesn't tell me which messages it just picked up.  It would be nice
to know.  It would be nice to see:

May 20 10:48:09 copper.ucsc.edu MailScanner[29086]: New Batch: Found 3
messages waiting: $FOO $BAR $BAZ

2) when it's sending them back to the MTA.  Right now, I don't see
syslog entries for this stage at all (the only time you know a process
finished with its current batch is that it picks up a new batch later
on).

It would be nice to see something like:

May 20 10:48:09 copper.ucsc.edu MailScanner[29086]: Finshed Batch: $FOO
$BAR $BAZ

3) when spam is found, mailscanner makes a syslog entry saying what it's
doing (spam actions are deliver, or whatever).  It would be nice to see
that for viruses, filename checks, filetype checks, and other checks.
If mailscanner is going to delete a message, bounce it, etc. I'd like to
see the syslog entry along with the message ID.

These would make it easier, if things fail, to help track down what
happened where and when.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk