Mail failing on schedule?

Bill Sholar - WebGusto admin at WEBGUSTO.COM
Fri May 21 16:58:27 IST 2004

On further investigation -- the failures seemed to occur whenever a message
arrived when the exim outgoing mail queue was running -- which I had set to
every 5 minutes.

So how do I prevent this? I assume some lock file is the culprit.

(I already changed the queue to 60 minutes, so there are 12x fewer chances
for the problem to occur.)

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Sholar - WebGusto [mailto:admin at WEBGUSTO.COM]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 9:40 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Mail failing on schedule?

I've been getting strange intermittent failures on email; the bounce always
says "All deliveries are handled by MailScanner".

I'd greatly appreciate any help!

I had a similar problem earlier with a user cron job's email not getting
through, with the same message, and seem to have solved it with
queue_only_override = false in the exim.conf file.

What is VERY strange is that when the failures occur, they seem to be at
exact multiples of 5 minutes apart, as if some cron job is occasionally
interrupting the mail. For example, yesterday I noted sequential failures
occurred at 11:51:30 12:06:30 12:16:30 13:11:30  13:21:30 14:41:30

Here is an excerpt of the results of the command 'grep "All deliveries are
handled by MailScanner" exim_mainlog', with actual addresses changed:

2004-05-19 10:36:30 1BQT7K-0004NH-NB == roy at userdomain.com R=defer_router
defer (-1): All deliveries are handled by MailScanner
2004-05-19 11:11:30 1BQTfF-0006xO-4M == roy at userdomain.com R=defer_router
defer (-1): All deliveries are handled by MailScanner
2004-05-19 11:51:30 1BQUHv-0000xv-Ae == msuffern at bigfreemailservice.com
R=defer_router defer (-1): All deliveries are handled by MailScanner
2004-05-19 12:06:30 1BQUWK-0001yO-Gd == lynn at anotheruserdomain.com
R=defer_router defer (-1): All deliveries are handled by MailScanner
2004-05-19 12:16:30 1BQUg7-0002es-Re == myid at mydomain.com R=defer_router
defer (-1): All deliveries are handled by MailScanner
2004-05-19 12:16:30 1BQUg7-0002eZ-AC == roy at userdomain.com R=defer_router
defer (-1): All deliveries are handled by MailScanner
2004-05-19 13:11:30 1BQVXN-0007An-HY == bill at mytestdomain.com R=defer_router
defer (-1): All deliveries are handled by MailScanner
2004-05-19 13:11:30 1BQVXN-0007Aa-C1 == myid at mydomain.com R=defer_router
defer (-1): All deliveries are handled by MailScanner

Thanks, Bill

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk