MailScanner cluster setup

David Jacobson davidj at IMPOL.NET
Thu May 6 15:27:39 IST 2004

Hi,

I've setup MailScanner at an ISP environment and it works very well.
Our core mail servers run standard exim and for clients who pay for
virus/spam scanning their mail gets re-routed to the mailscanner box (only
about 20 companies)

Hardware Specs

Dual Xeon 2.4ghz 2.4 Hyper Threading
2 Gigs Ram
Raid 5 - 35 Gigs

Software Specs

MailScanner 4.28.6
Exim 4.30
ClamAV 0.70
SpamAssassin 2.63
Pyzor 0.40
Razor 2.36
DCC 1.2.32

tmpfs on /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming.
caching dns server.
Custom SA rules (Big Evil List, Rules de Juor etc)
Bayes
15 Children

I've looked at our MRTG stats ...

On average we process 25 000 (1.4Gigs) Mails per day, the stastic I am
concerned about is on average there are 111 Mails in the incoming queue
This is the only process I need to streamline and make more efficient, the
rest of the stats are fine.  Does anyone have any recommendations
on how to get MailScanner to process the mail quicker so there is not more
than say 20 mails in the incoming queue on average.

Also, I am considering replacing our core mail servers and replacing them
with clustered MailScanner solutions - the problem I have is that
I need the quarantine directories to be the same on all servers and their
mail boxes.  I have considered setting up an additional three
MailScanner machines NFS mounting a Network storage device... however this
comes back to the point of single failure if the Network storage
device goes down.  Can anyone perhaps shed some insight on their
clustering setups?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

David Jacobson
Network Security Administrator
RHCE

Imperial Online - The Imperial Connection

Switchboard (+27) 11 723-8000
Helpdesk (+27) 11 723-8181
Mobile  (+27) 83 235-0760
Facsimile (+27) 11 454 1236
Email  davidj at impol.net

www.imperialonline.co.za / www.imperialtoday.co.za

Confidentiality Notice:
This communication and the information it contains are intended for the
person(s) or organisation(s) named above and for no other person(s) or
organisation(s).
The content of this communication may be confidential, legally privileged
and protected. Unauthorised use, copying or disclosure of any part of this
communication may be unlawful.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk