MailScanner cluster setup

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Thu May 6 15:41:55 IST 2004

> On average we process 25 000 (1.4Gigs) Mails per day, the stastic I am
> concerned about is on average there are 111 Mails in the incoming queue
> This is the only process I need to streamline and make more efficient,
> the rest of the stats are fine.  Does anyone have any recommendations
> on how to get MailScanner to process the mail quicker so there is not
> more than say 20 mails in the incoming queue on average.

Since you have 15 childrens, it is normal that you have that amount of
messages in your incoming queue.  Don't forget that messages stay in the
incoming queue until they are completely processed by MailScanner and
moved to the outgoing queue.

So, theoretically, if you have 15 childrens processing up to 30
messages/batch, you can have up to 450 messages in the incoming queue,
but none will really be "waiting" for processing.

What is your average delay for processing your messages?

> Also, I am considering replacing our core mail servers and replacing
> them with clustered MailScanner solutions - the problem I have is that
> I need the quarantine directories to be the same on all servers and
> their mail boxes.  I have considered setting up an additional three
> MailScanner machines NFS mounting a Network storage device... however
> this comes back to the point of single failure if the Network storage
> device goes down.  Can anyone perhaps shed some insight on their
> clustering setups?

I suggest you ask Steve from FSL Steve.Swaney at FSL.com

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk