KickMessage/qmgr error

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Sat May 1 22:19:48 IST 2004

Matt

nqmgr is the 2.1.x default queue manager and better than qmgr, so that's
good! On my FreeBSD system I still have

prw--w--w-  1 postfix  maildrop  0 May  1 22:07 qmgr

so I have no idea why your system fancies the srw permissions.
Interestingly, my qmgr has 'maildrop' group permissions (Which might be
'postdrop' on Linux).

The queue manager just sends out 1 byte messages to the other processes
in Postfix allowing the movement of mail through the system. The reason
for your delay was due to these messages not being sent (Hence the kick
failure). Mail was only being picked up when the timer in master.cf
expired (normally 300 seconds) at which point the all the queue
directories are checked and mail moved where required (For example from
the defer queue for retry).

Any way glad it's working.

Drew

Matt Roberts wrote:

>Thanks Drew,
>
>the switch from qmgr to nqmgr in master.cf seems to have done the trick.  I've
>still no idea /why/ but hey...!
>
>Thanks again.

been scanned for viruses and dangerous
www.themarshalls.co.uk/policy