Slow mail processing

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Wed Mar 31 16:57:48 IST 2004

Dan Spray wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have MS setup on a dual xeon 2.6 with 2 gig of ram and nothing else
> on this server this is running RedHat 9.  Mail comes in and out in a
> test environment very quickly.  However, when I turn other domains
> over to it and it actually starts processing a lot of mail (100+ msg
> /min) the incoming queue starts backing up and before long there are
> thousands of messages in the queue.  I really am only interest in
> running the virus checks (clamav) and local Spamassassin checks
> (bayes, evil_numbers, etc.) so that may be a problem too...I don't see
> how to limit the Spamassassin checks to local check only in the MS
> conf so that may be my problem.  I have pasted a snippet from the
> log.  Any help in getting this sped up would be greatly appreciated.

You can turn off the network tests by using the usual spamassasin configuration directives in /etc/MailScanner/spamassassin.prefs.conf.

Have you established whether your system is I/O or CPU bound?  There have been plenty of performance tweaks suggested on list before, probably the best bang-per-buck is to put the work directory in tmpfs - you also probably want to drop the batch size to, say, 20 or so, play with the number of children until you find a number that works well for you.

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.