culpability of Infinite-Monkey (was) Infinite Monkeys and other BLs {Scanned} {Scanned} {Scanned}

Eagle Net Support support at EAGLE-ACCESS.NET
Thu Mar 18 04:18:54 GMT 2004

Chris Sweeney wrote:

> Here is a simple answer to your long winded statement.
>
> 1.  IM has no way of notifying you of any changes other then to post on a
> web site and few mailing list. The difference between you ging Johnny a free
> account and you using IM is that you have a way to contact Johnny, you can
> send him an email you are running his account.  IM had no way other then
> posting on the web site of any changes comming.  Had you had to register in
> order to use the service and they had your contact information that is a
> different story.   I think the time frame they gave was more then enough,
> you should keep informed on products your using.  That includes black list.
> Plain and simple you need to keep informed on what your doing.
>
> Chris

Assuming for the sake of argument this is all true even the long winded part.
Is it reasonable to turn off the list, change the IP, parse and send an e-mail
to each domain that is using, or place false info that will cause harm and
sabotage anyone with the audacity to not know?

It is perfectly reasonable that one would not know everything.  Do you know who
and why of every program or service on your machine.  If you pulled down a
sendmail version and 5 months later it purposefully damaged your machine is this
OK and your fault.  In any event it is irrelevant what you or I might think on
this.  The issue I see is that it is wrongful to place blame on admin that
reasonably placed trust in a thing be it a virus scanner an RBL or whatever.  Is
it OK to place fraudulent info purposefully, and cause harm.  My point is a
court would say no due to the deliberate nature of the act, violates fiduciary
responsibility, and needs litigation to settle the matter due primarily to all
the rationalizations and justifications so that then we will all know if it is
OK to deliberately cause harm because it is free.

joe