spam.list.conf

Richard Lynch rich at MAIL.WVNET.EDU
Thu Mar 18 01:28:25 GMT 2004

Pete wrote:

> Richard Lynch wrote:
>
>> Pete wrote:
>>

>>> Spam List = # MAPS-RBL+ costs money (except .ac.uk)
>>>

>>> As i said, all RBL checking is happening with spamassassin, SA seems to
>>> use all of these lists. I thought to let SA know which lists to use, i
>>> commented them out/in in spam.lists.conf ?
>>

>> Keep in mind, as has already been pointed out,  spam.lists.conf is not
>> the determining factor.  It's what's specified in MailScanner.conf
>> that determines what MS uses.  The spam.lists.conf file just gives
>> symbolic names to the the RBL sites.
>>
> But i have nothing entered into MailScanner, and my maillog show plenty
> of RBL action- are the BLs used by Spamassassin configured elsewhere?
>

> 0.78    BIZ_TLD    Contains a URL in the BIZ top-level domain
> 1.95    DATE_IN_FUTURE_12_24    Date: is 12 to 24 hours after
> 2.25    RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET    Received via a relay in bl.spamcop.net
> 1.10    RCVD_IN_DSBL    Received via a relay in list.dsbl.org
> 2.55    RCVD_IN_DYNABLOCK    Sent directly from dynamic IP address
> 0.10    RCVD_IN_NJABL    Received via a relay in dnsbl.njabl.org
> 1.10    RCVD_IN_NJABL_PROXY    NJABL: sender is an open proxy
> 0.10    RCVD_IN_SORBS    SORBS: sender is listed in SORBS
> 1.10    RCVD_IN_SORBS_SOCKS    SORBS: sender is open SOCKS proxy server

Spamassassin is configured in
/etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf.  That's where you can set
configuration parameters,  define new rules, and redefine existing rule
scores, etc.  Spamassassin configuration options can be found at...

http://www.spamassassin.org/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html

Other documents are available at...

http://www.spamassassin.org/doc/

What you have listed above are scores from Spamassassin based on its RBL
checks.  If you do RBL checks in MS it's a pass/fail test.  That is, if
the check returns true the message is flagged as SPAM.  Doing RBL checks
in MS is more efficient whereas doing them in SA is less ruthless in
that failures simply contribute to the final score.