Infinite Monkeys and other BLs

James Hammett james at CHE.UTEXAS.EDU
Wed Mar 17 20:49:01 GMT 2004

I would have replied off list except you stated:
        You seem to be not only a mediocre sysadmin

At 05:21 PM -0300 on 3/17/04, you (Mariano Absatz) wrote:
>Er... why, when there's an open public searchable web archive of the list
>you're only searching your partial and relatively new (only 4 months old)
>list archive?

Dude, I'm using the is an ILLUSTRATION of the fact that NO
ANNOUNCEMENT had been posted during the time which I was reading the
mailing list.  (When I subscribe to a list I don't go back and read
the prior 2 months especially when I already get 200+ messages a day
on the various lists I'm already on.  )

When I discovered the problem I FOUND THE INFORMATION fairly quickly.

Usually, If I am taking down one of my systems, I notify my users
SEVERAL TIMES (posting frequent regular reminders).

As far as suing Microsoft, when they wrote their code design
explicitly to break Novell code. They got sued.  If there is a
problem with software OK, but WHEN YOU DELIBERATELY set to break
something........

later,
James

ps: Several people have posted personal attacks, I am responding to
those.  I've also responded off list clarifying, when people have
been civil.

James Hammett
Users Services / Server and Lab Administration
(SLAM)
Information Technology Services ( (ITS)                          CPE 4.442
Chemical Engineering Unix Support                                   471-9701