selective virus scanning

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Wed Mar 17 13:13:12 GMT 2004

Hi,

I have a large customer (an ISP) that wants to selectively apply virus
scanning based on the recipient address. That is, some target addresses
are to be scanned and some others not.

I plan to develop a set of CustomConfig.pm functions to handle this...
I'll even modify the code if I must.

I have a few questions about this:

The 'Virus Scanning =' setting has a comment that says: 'This switch
actually switches on/off all processing of the email messages. If you
just want to switch off actual virus scanning, then set "Virus Scanners =
none" instead'.

Does it mean that if "Virus Scanning = no", it won't call SpamAssassin?

If I use "Virus Scanners = none", I should also disable all internal
"Allow External Message Bodies" and the like if I don't want any virus
detection at all, should I?

I recall a discussion about what happened when you had a bunch of
recipients in the same message and some wanted one treatment and the rest
another... what I don't recall is if there was a solution to this
(besides configuring the MTA to replicate the message once for every
recipient, which I wouldn't like to do). Is there any nice solution to
this?... otherwise, I'll probably have to hack something in Message.pm
and ZMailer.pm to handle the case thru some kind of message duplication
only when needed.

TIA

--
Mariano Absatz