muscle or numbers

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Tue Mar 16 22:37:27 GMT 2004

Chris Conn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have a high-volume front-end application to design, and I wanted to
> know the user experiences of having a SMP machine (ex: Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz)
> vs two single-processor servers.  Can the MailScanner processes properly
> span and utilize the dual-processor configuration, or is there a
> significant advantage to use two seperate machines.  Obviously two
> seperate machines will be a better performance solution, but to what
> degree is my question.
>
> We will be running on a modern Linux threaded distribution like RH9 or
> RHEL and perl 5.8.x.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chris

MS works fine on SMP, ses Max Child setting in mailscanner.conf. It
spawns processes per processor.

IMO i reckon for something that should be on/up all the time, 2 servers
could be better, if one fails, is too busy, is being upgraded, modified
etc you company still recieves mail.

BUT you didnt say what you mail volume will be - my comments assume oyur
volume can be handled by any of the servers you mentioned. If you
recieve 1.5 million per day maybe you need to have the dual system ?