muscle or numbers

Wed Mar 17 08:51:18 GMT 2004

Chris

I'd go for numbers. Use MX records of equal value to split the load
across both machines. If one goes down then the other will pick up the
email without anyone noticing. If a single SMP breaks then all email
will halt. Depends on where you see the risk!

You can pick up High end Althon/PIV's for next to nothing now-adays so
two shouldn't be very expensive.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

Chris Conn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a high-volume front-end application to design, and I wanted to
> know the user experiences of having a SMP machine (ex: Dual Xeon 2.8Ghz)
> vs two single-processor servers.  Can the MailScanner processes properly
> span and utilize the dual-processor configuration, or is there a
> significant advantage to use two seperate machines.  Obviously two
> seperate machines will be a better performance solution, but to what
> degree is my question.
>
> We will be running on a modern Linux threaded distribution like RH9 or
> RHEL and perl 5.8.x.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chris

the system manager.