Most wanted FAQ's

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Thu Mar 11 20:20:53 GMT 2004

Hi Denis,

        I've given consideration to all your comments and I appreciate your input.  However, the MAQ must remain relatively short, so I cannot put everything.  The best way to work is to create a FAQ entry, then I'll put a link to it in the MAQ, if appropriate.  See below for my comments.

Added to my tasklist

>About customizing SA:
>- I modified a little bit the routine I posted to
>http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/serve/cache/86.html:
>  1- modify /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf
>  2- copy /etc/MailScanner/spam.assassin.prefs.conf into
>~/.spamassassin/user_prefs
>  3- test it with spamassassin --lint
>  4- reload MS if no error

I'll just put a link to your faq entry.

I put http://www.exit0.us/index.php/RulesDuJour in the "optimize my setup" part.  Isn't it the same thing?

>- You should also mention why someone should use SA and what
>spam/high-scoring score is recommended

Added to tasklist.

>About the optimization:
>- no sync in syslog (change /etc/syslog.conf):
>  #mail.*     /var/log/maillog
>  mail.*      -/var/log/maillog
>then restart syslog: service syslog restart

Added to tasklist.

>- make sure pyzor knows its servers: create /etc/cron.daily/pyzor with:
>  #!/bin/bash
>  pyzor discover

I think a faq entry would be necessary for this and razor's update feature.  Not sure if it is really worth putting into a MAQ.

>You should also mention the UTF-8 bug on Linux (mostly RedHat/Fedora)
>and the /etc/sysconfig/i18n file.

Very OS-specific, it is in the faq and if you do a google search you'll get the answer (That's what I did when I set up my first MailScanner server)

>Also make sure to mention that having more than one version of Perl on
>the system will mostly get people into trouble.

Hmmm, not sure how to phrase that, though.  I'll see.