Corrupt queue files with Postfix

Nick Slager nicks at ONTHENET.COM.AU
Wed Mar 10 22:46:46 GMT 2004

Thus spake Drew Marshall (drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK):

> >>I have seen some thing similar also with Postfix 2.0.16. try upgrading
> >>to 2.0.18,1 which is in the latest ports tree and check again. I did
> >>this and the server stopped reporting corrupt messages.
> >>

> >I have just upgraded to Postfix 2.0.18, and the problem persists:
> >
> >Mar 10 12:24:04 host postfix/smtp[16142]: warning: corrupted queue file:
> >active/6/1/61D3D94508
> >Mar 10 12:24:33 host postfix/smtp[16140]: warning: corrupted queue file:
> >active/4/A/4A39094508
> >Mar 10 12:24:45 host postfix/smtp[16143]: warning: corrupted queue file:
> >active/7/8/78780A285B
> >
> >Any further ideas?
> >

> Damn! Did you install a fresh or a portupgrade? The last time I did a
> fresh install (make deinstall, make install) and I also made the system
> a 'single Postfix instance' set up. So it might have been a combination
> of both...

This was a portupgrade.

Further investigation has shown that the queue files generated by
MailScanner, and placed into the outgoing Postfix queue are actually
invalid. There are two "Postfix headers" in each queue file (the part of
the file analogous to a Sendmail qf file). Postfix is quite correct in
complaining about them (although it shouldn't be discarding them).

I've been looking further into this and I'm sure there is a bug in either
Message.pm or Postfix.pm. It is only tripped when you're using Postfix
with MailScanner, and only when HTML format mails are modified (usually as
a result of "Convert Dangerous HTML To Text" being set to "yes").

Has anyone else come across this? I would have thought that the bug would
have been tripped any number of times before, given the number of
Postfix/MailScanner installations. I will post further details
when I've got some hard evidence :-)

cheers,

Nick