Justification for mailscanner (part 2)

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Tue Mar 2 11:37:25 GMT 2004

David Parter wrote:

>>Anyway, the question was put to me today - how can you justify wanting
>>to spend valuable man hours building and configuring our own system
>>based on open source, when we've already budgeted enough money to cover
>>a commercial solution?
>>

>I forgot an important point:
>
>  e-mail is so important to this organization, I'm more comfortable with
>  in-house expertise to support it. Virus scanning is only part of a
>  larger system of mail delivery and transport, which we already
>  maintain. It is critical that we are able to support and maintain
>  each component ...
>
>    --david

Then reduncy would be important - and mailscanner can easily be
incorporated, various methods, to make sure that IF it should fail, it
wont stop mail, or mail could be scanned by a 2nd server on lesser
hardware while you repair the first, or hold all mail, whatever, no need
to make mail delivery dependant on MS being up?