Justification for mailscanner (part 2)

David Parter dparter at CS.WISC.EDU
Mon Mar 1 21:52:54 GMT 2004

> Anyway, the question was put to me today - how can you justify wanting
> to spend valuable man hours building and configuring our own system
> based on open source, when we've already budgeted enough money to cover
> a commercial solution?

I forgot an important point:

  e-mail is so important to this organization, I'm more comfortable with
  in-house expertise to support it. Virus scanning is only part of a
  larger system of mail delivery and transport, which we already
  maintain. It is critical that we are able to support and maintain
  each component ...

    --david