MailScanner vs. SpamKiller [SCANNED]

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Mar 1 22:07:58 GMT 2004

At 19:10 01/03/2004, you wrote:
>On 3/1/04 10:58 AM, "Julian Field" wrote:
>

> > If Net::DNS is not installed, that would make a huge difference to your
> > spam-spotting success rate. SpamAssassin would not be checking any of the
> > RBL's, you would only get MailScanner RBL checking (which doesn't rely on
> > Net::DNS).
>
>So using the above method or perl mod, should we turn RBL off in MS and on
>in SA then?

There are pros and cons for using the RBLs in any of
1) MTA
2) MailScanner
3) SpamAssassin

This has been discussed here before.

You definitely want at least (3). Use (1) if you want to reject connections
at SMTP time. Use (2) if you want membership of any RBL to cause a message
to be considered as spam. Certainly reasonable with the SBL and XBL
blacklists from spamhaus.org (there is 1 list that combines both of them).

--
Julian Field