OT: sendmail relay question, please

Steve Campbell campbell at CNPAPERS.COM
Tue Jun 29 22:24:42 IST 2004

Mr. Burns,

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Burns" <William.Burns at AEROFLEX.COM>
> 1) As someone else already mentioned, the leading dot is not required
> and might cause a problem.

It certainly does cause a problem.

> 2) You don't HAVE to list an IP address here, you CAN list a domain
> name. (your preference)

Will it still avoid the MX record though?

> 3) Instead of "esmtp:", my mailertable has "smtp:"

I think this is preference, and counting on others to support the extended
protocol. I may be wrong.

> 4) In my version of sendmail, in the access file, I have something like:
>  > To:cnpapers.com   RELAY
> (I don't use the relay-domains file)

I totally forgot about this way.

> 5) I think it was already mentioned, but you'll want to do a "make
> access.db" and "make mailertable.db" to rebuild those files.

Webmin will re-make these tables as they are changed.

> -Bill

Thanks also for your input.
 I hope everyone learns as much about everything as I do from this list!

Steve Campbell
campbell at cnpapers.com
Charleston Newspapers

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk