OT: sendmail relay question, please

William Burns William.Burns at AEROFLEX.COM
Wed Jun 30 00:54:23 IST 2004

Steve Campbell wrote:

> [...]
When you specify/use the square brackets, that suppresses the MX lookup.
That part of your config looked right to me (and matches the way I use
it here)

Note: (off-off topic) An interesting alternative here is that you can
configure a totally different domain name (without square brackets) and
give that domain name a bunch of MX records just for routing purposes.
That way you can be a gateway to a group of servers, instead of just
one. You can make up any domain name here, as long as you control the
name server for it. The "target" mail servers will be unaware of the
"imaginary" domain.

>>3) Instead of "esmtp:", my mailertable has "smtp:"
>>

>I think this is preference, and counting on others to support the extended
>protocol. I may be wrong.
>

>>4) In my version of sendmail, in the access file, I have something like:
>> > To:cnpapers.com   RELAY
>>(I don't use the relay-domains file)
>>

>I totally forgot about this way.
>

>>5) I think it was already mentioned, but you'll want to do a "make
>>access.db" and "make mailertable.db" to rebuild those files.
>>

>Webmin will re-make these tables as they are changed.

Double-check this by running the "strings" command on those ".db" files.
(or, I suppose, an ls -l if you just check the date-stamps)

-Bill

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk