MailScanner and RHEL 3

List Account lists99 at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 25 20:20:52 IST 2004

>From: Christopher Schanzle <mailscanner at CAS.HOMELINUX.ORG>
>To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
>Subject: Re: MailScanner and RHEL 3
>Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:53:00 -0400
>
>Chris Conn wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>We have several RHEL3 systems running MailScanner, SpamAssassin and
>>Clamav and none of those systems have even _touched_ the swap.  Some of
>>these systems handle up to 200,000 messages per day, sometimes more
>>depending on the usual spam load =)  Load averages are consistently
>>below 0.5 and hover around 0.2, and these systems are configured with
>>2GB of RAM.
>>
>>We have stuck to RH kernels, the only thing we may have done differently
>>is rebuild all of the RPMs for the various utilities (SpamAssassin and
>>clamav in particular) using rpmbuild instead of installing the pre-built
>>rpms.  The rest is RedHat stock.
>>
>>Chris
>>
>Chris [Conn, not me :-],
>
>Is it possible your 2GB configuration puts you into a different kernel
>class, e.g., bigmem or highmem?   It might be helpful if everybody with
>this problem shared the output of these two commands:
>
>rpm -q --qf="%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n" kernel-`uname -r`
>uname -a
>
>And for those struggling with performance problems, are you *sure* you
>are swapping?  Does "vmstat 1" show lots of activity in the "si" and
>"so" (swap in, swap out) columns?  Not meaning to insult anyone by
>stating the obvious, but activity in the "bi" and "bo" (blocks in,
>blocks out) is normal on a busy system.
>
>Regards,
>Chris Schanzle

The only kernel packages installed on my system are:

kernel-smp-2.4.21-9.0.3.EL
kernel-smp-unsupported-2.4.21-9.0.3.EL

When I had swap enabled, I saw swap usage in vmstat and top.  I also had the
problems with all the previous versions of the kernel I had installed.  The
first kernel I had installed was 2.4.21-4 I believe.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk