OT: nameservers went lame

Mark Nienberg mark at TIPPINGMAR.COM
Tue Jul 27 22:27:56 IST 2004

On 27 Jul 2004 at 16:10, Ugo Bellavance wrote:

> Mark Nienberg wrote:
>
> > I'm running a cacheing-only nameserver on my MailScanner server.  It
> > was quiet for months, but now I see lots of these in the logs:
> >
> > Jul 27 12:40:03 gingham named[3316]:
> > lame server resolving '19.160.99.61.in-addr.arpa'
> > (in '160.99.61.in-addr.arpa'?): 210.117.65.2#53
>
> Since march 7th on my very quiet server (200 msg/day).
> [root at mta1 log]# grep lame /var/log/messages | wc -l
>    33360

Wow, that is an eye-opening number!  I had no idea there were so many
misconfigured DNS servers out there.  It is amazing that DNS works at all.  It must
be really well designed.

What this is clearly telling me is that my sendmail/mailscanner wasn't really using the
caching DNS until I rebooted it.  Now I am seeing the same log messages that
everyone gets.  Either that or it wasn't logging correctly before.  Thanks for your help.
--
Mark W. Nienberg, SE
Tipping Mar + associates

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk