OT: nameservers went lame

Ugo Bellavance ugob at CAMO-ROUTE.COM
Wed Jul 28 04:25:17 IST 2004

Mark Nienberg wrote:
> On 27 Jul 2004 at 16:10, Ugo Bellavance wrote:
>

>>Mark Nienberg wrote:
>>

>>>I'm running a cacheing-only nameserver on my MailScanner server.  It
>>>was quiet for months, but now I see lots of these in the logs:
>>>
>>>Jul 27 12:40:03 gingham named[3316]:
>>>lame server resolving '19.160.99.61.in-addr.arpa'
>>>(in '160.99.61.in-addr.arpa'?): 210.117.65.2#53
>>
>>Since march 7th on my very quiet server (200 msg/day).
>>[root at mta1 log]# grep lame /var/log/messages | wc -l
>>   33360
>

> Wow, that is an eye-opening number!  I had no idea there were so many
> misconfigured DNS servers out there.  It is amazing that DNS works at all.  It must
> be really well designed.

I don't exacly know the impact of this error message on performance, nor
do I know how the resolver deals with it.  All I've found is this:

"when you try to resolve a domain that has a bad domain host"

"This is caused by the NS record for a particular domain is not the
authoritive server for that domain."

So I guess it just tries another NS.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk