nameservers went lame

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at CI.JUNEAU.AK.US
Tue Jul 27 22:19:14 IST 2004

Mark Nienberg wrote:
> I'm running a cacheing-only nameserver on my MailScanner server.  It
> was quiet for months, but now I see lots of these in the logs:
>
> Jul 27 12:40:03 gingham named[3316]:
> lame server resolving '19.160.99.61.in-addr.arpa'
> (in '160.99.61.in-addr.arpa'?): 210.117.65.2#53
>
> Is there something wrong at the root level nameservers?  Perhaps I
> need a new
> version of the "named.conf" file?  Anybody else seeing this?  That
> said, everything still works fine.  Names are being resolved, RBL's
> and SURBL are working.
>
> To be fair, this started a few days ago after I did a kernel update
> and rebooted, but that seems like a coincidence.  Thanks for any
> insight and I apologize for asking this here, but you folks seem to
> know everything!

What that's telling you is that it tried to do a reverse lookup on the
address and whoever owns that range hasn't published the reverse zone for
it, or has mungled the zone.  I can't ping 61.99.160.19 (the address it's
trying to lookup).  It may have been taken down already, or it was a spoofed
address.  At any rate, it's not on your server - someone else is hosed.
Your server is just saying it can't find a record for that address...

...Kevin
CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Administrator, Mail
Administrator 155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk