MailScanner not picking up anything in the incoming queue dir

Keith Wessel kwessel at INTENEX.NET
Mon Jul 26 19:47:33 IST 2004

Hi, Kevin,

I think I'm in business:

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:14:15AM +0100, Kevin Spicer wrote:
> > MailScanner logs:
> > Jul  8 21:08:49 zoot MailScanner[4669]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner
> > version 4.31.6 starting...
> > To the mail log, and the message repeats every 10 seconds.
>
> That indicates MailScanner is failing to start, you should see one of
> those messages for each MailScanner process every 4 hours.  What else is
> in the log?

I kind of wondered about that. <blush> Running in debug mode told me it
wasn't finding my ClamAV Perl module.  I kind of thought it would come
with ClamAV. :)  A cpan "install Mail::ClamAV" seems to have done the
trick.  I'll try it later tonight during lighter system load and I'll be
back if I encounter more with this problem.

> > I also tried pointing MailScanner
> > back to /var/spool/mqueue.in where I also pointed submit.cf -- still no
> > luck.
> That is the correct setting for MailScanner, but the incorrect setting
> for submit.cf is clientmqueue.

> Restore your sendmail.cf and submit.cf to their default settings.  You
> do not need to make any changes to sendmail config.  The MailScanner
> init script will start sendmail with the correct options.

Thanks for clearing this up for me.  I really need to sit down and read
o'Reilly's Bat book one of these days instead of being a self-taught (?)
sendmail guy.

Thanks again!

-Keith

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk