MailScanner not picking up anything in the incoming queue dir

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Mon Jul 26 09:14:15 IST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 03:09, Keith Wessel wrote:

> MailScanner logs:
> Jul  8 21:08:49 zoot MailScanner[4669]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner
> version 4.31.6 starting...
> To the mail log, and the message repeats every 10 seconds.

That indicates MailScanner is failing to start, you should see one of
those messages for each MailScanner process every 4 hours.  What else is
in the log?

> Tried to set the
> MailScanner.conf setting to /var/spool/clientmqueue as it is on a
> standard Redhat system, but no luck.
Don't do that.  Sendmail picks up mails from clientmqueue and moves them
to mqueue.in.

> I also tried pointing MailScanner
> back to /var/spool/mqueue.in where I also pointed submit.cf -- still no
> luck.
That is the correct setting for MailScanner, but the incorrect setting
for submit.cf is clientmqueue.

Restore your sendmail.cf and submit.cf to their default settings.  You
do not need to make any changes to sendmail config.  The MailScanner
init script will start sendmail with the correct options.

Heres how it works...
Local client submits mail (e.g. by invoking sendmail) mail goes into
clientmqueue.
Sendmail picks up mail from clientmqueue and drops it into mqueue.in.
MailScanner picks up mail from mqueue.in, processes it and moves it into
mqueue from where the sendmail queue-runner will deliver it.

> I've run out of debugging ideas over here, and have read and re-read my
> config file several times, as well as checked the docs and Googled for
> this issue.  I must be searching for the wrong things; on an install as
> standard as mine, somebody else must have seen this.  Any suggestions
> would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> -Keith

BMRB International