OUTLOOK was RE: [MAILSCANNER] RTFM... FAQ MAQ GOOGLE

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl
Fri Jul 16 10:36:18 IST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:05:18 +0200, you wrote:

>> I used China and Korea as example. I also have a blacklist
>> that triggers on US IP space. some people don't want to
>> receive e-mail from the states since the acceptance of CAN-SPAM.
>>
>> It's all about the flexibility we have to offer our users (at
>> the different departments).
>
>Nonetheless: Why not give them a user interface to enable/disable
>blacklists they want to use at MTA level... Just as flexible, better for
>the "senders" since they get proper error messages, better for you since
>you do not have the traffic etc...

We are working at (that kind of) solutions. But I am working at the
central IT department of a university. And the IT departments of the
faculties hate to have things centralized. Some even run their own
anti-spam and anti-virus software (which sometimes changes the their
mailserver in open relays). Some even claim they never receive any virus
so there is no need to have us do it. They forget all virusses are
removed by us. :(

But the people on the workfloor love the way we handle stuf. But
something as officially offering people the possibility to do something
centralized with @department addresses is a no-no.

We can get away with something like the interface to have users enter
the score above which the message should be deleted, but we only can
offer users the possibility to enter this information for the central
account they received. Not for any decentralized account and/or e-mail
address they got from their own IT department.

I get complaints from users about this or that and when I look into it
it often has something to do with the way their IT department handles
things. When I explain that to the user they thank me for the effort to
try to help them but they know there isn't anything they can do.
Sometimes when that user is "stupid" enough to get his complaint to his
IT department, they complain to my boss. But he's used to that. ;-)

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk