Anyone running big SPARC boxes?

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Wed Jul 7 23:33:56 IST 2004

Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:

> We did mailscanning with a V880, one iof the bigger SUN boxes, but
> replaces it with a dual xeon. Its simply a waste of money to do scanning
> on SPARC systems.

I wish I could get my boss to buy into that.  I'd much rather have an
array of twice to four times as many dual Intel FreeBSD boxes over the
solaris ones.  Solaris has its place, but when it's just simple low
level IO throughput, FreeBSD is a much better choice.  (heck, even Linux
will do ... it's really sad that my dual p4 workstation running linux
will out run our solaris front ends (all 4 combined))

But then there's support contract considerations, and maintenance
levels, and who in our group actually knows FreeBSD vs Solaris, etc.
etc. etc. .  I don't really know of a FreeBSD vendor that will do
everything for us that Sun would (from top to bottom, etc.; and, these
days I'm less inclined to believe the "And Sun isn't likely to go under
next month" part of the argument).

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk