Anyone running big SPARC boxes?

Peter Bonivart peter at UCGBOOK.COM
Wed Jul 7 23:35:06 IST 2004

Raymond Dijkxhoorn wrote:
>>For a 4-way system look at the V440, it's much cheaper than the other
>>4-way system, the V480 and performs about the same. All these cheaper
>>Sun's have smaller on board caches but still large compared to PC HW.
>>
>>After this it becomes not so cheap any more (V880 and up) so I would
>>recommend multiple servers of the above models before a bigger iron.
>>Always easier to upgrade the software with redundant servers than one
>>big one anyway.
>
> We did mailscanning with a V880, one iof the bigger SUN boxes, but
> replaces it with a dual xeon. Its simply a waste of money to do scanning
> on SPARC systems.

As you yourself quoted me on, the V880 is not cost effective for this
kind of system. It's meant for other tasks and for your information it's
ranked as low end by Sun, it's definitely not "one of the bigger Sun
boxes". A lot of you seem very hostile towards Sun even though you're
either using really old equipment which was expensive 5-10 years ago or
current equipment which is not suited to the task. If you want to
comment on Sun please get updated with current products and prices. To
me it's real annoying that so many bashes Sun who has contributed
tremendously to your beloved Linux. NIS, NFS, Java, Flashplayer 7,
Star/Open Office, Gnome, the list goes on and on with stuff that Sun
pays fully or partly to provide you with. Cut them some slack will you.

Since this is going off topic rapidly I will not answer any follow ups
to this post.

--
/Peter Bonivart

--Unix lovers do it in the Sun

Sun Fire V210, Solaris 9, Sendmail 8.12.10, MailScanner 4.31.6,
SpamAssassin 2.63 + DCC 1.2.50, ClamAV 0.73 + GMP 4.1.2, Vispan 1.4

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk