Anyone running big SPARC boxes?

Wed Jul 7 23:56:28 IST 2004

Peter,

> > We did mailscanning with a V880, one iof the bigger SUN boxes, but
> > replaces it with a dual xeon. Its simply a waste of money to do scanning
> > on SPARC systems.

> As you yourself quoted me on, the V880 is not cost effective for this
> kind of system. It's meant for other tasks and for your information it's
> ranked as low end by Sun, it's definitely not "one of the bigger Sun
> boxes". A lot of you seem very hostile towards Sun even though you're
> either using really old equipment which was expensive 5-10 years ago or
> current equipment which is not suited to the task. If you want to
> comment on Sun please get updated with current products and prices. To
> me it's real annoying that so many bashes Sun who has contributed
> tremendously to your beloved Linux. NIS, NFS, Java, Flashplayer 7,
> Star/Open Office, Gnome, the list goes on and on with stuff that Sun
> pays fully or partly to provide you with. Cut them some slack will you.

We have a LOT of SUN machines running. I dont want to start a SUN is
better or not discussion, but, in my eyes its cheaper to do these kind of
tasks on a Intel box. We also use SUN Intel boxes for example. Its just
that you get more CPU power for your money, and thats what is needed a
lot with scanning (besides fast i/o).

Please, if you use Sparc and are happy with that, who am i to say thats
bad. :)

We for example also use V65x SUNS, And are happy with those. Those are
Intel based btw for people who dont know the version numbers of SUN. (Dual
Xeon boxes).

Bye,
Raymond.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk