Ignore large attachments?? {Scanned}

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Thu Jul 1 22:08:55 IST 2004

Scott Silva wrote --

| Is there a setting in MailScanner to ignore large attachments?  I want to
| never scan/extract/analyze messages that have attachments over say 3
| megs.  This is because the chance of a message over 3 megs being spam or a
| virus is pretty much improbable.  Is there a setting I can change
| somewhere?  I've looked and couldn't find such a setting and would
| appreciate any and all advise I can get.  Expanding large attachments
| places a great load and increases the likelyhood off hitting the timeout
| or maxsize settings for the expansion process, sometimes causing a Denial
| of Service message to be generated and incorrectly tagging the message as
| spam.  Since these larger attachment messages are legit I'd rather just
| not have the scanner process them at all except to allow them thru.

 You can set the maximum size scanned with spamassassin since this would be
the
slowest and most processor intensive task with large attachments. But I
would still
virus scan everything, regardless of size, just for safety sake.

---Just when you get a better mouse trap,
    Along comes a bigger mouse!!!

believed to be clean.

To leave, send    leave mailscanner    to jiscmail at jiscmail.ac.uk