ruleset processing - matching order

Mariano Absatz mailscanner at LISTS.COM.AR
Thu Jul 1 21:50:59 IST 2004

Hi,

so far, I've used rulesets very sparingly and now I have a doubt I couldn't
resolve just by looking at the FAQ (or the MAQ, for that matter).

It is clear that the 'default' action is different from the rest in that is
always used as a last resort, but... what happens if you have more than one
rule that match a given message? is the first one applied? or the last one?

Example:

High Scoring Spam Actions = %rules-dir%/hispam.actions.rules

and, in hispam.actions.rules:

FromOrTo:   default               delete
From:       someone at example.com   deliver forward guy at example.net
From:       10.9.8.7              deliver

So, normally, hi-spam messages are deleted.

If a hi-spam message comes from 'someone at example.com' it is delivered to the
intended recipient and a copy is delivered to 'guy at example.net'.

If a hi-spam message comes from the IP 10.9.8.7, it is delivered to the
intended recipient.

Now, what would happen if a message comes from the IP 10.9.8.7 and the
envelope from is 'someone at example.com'? is it delivered? and a copy to
'guy at example.net'?

If I changed the order, would the copy to 'guy at example.net' NOT be delivered?

TIA