ruleset processing - matching order {Scanned}

Scott Silva ssilva at SGVWATER.COM
Thu Jul 1 22:18:33 IST 2004

| Hi,
|
| so far, I've used rulesets very sparingly and now I have a doubt I
couldn't
| resolve just by looking at the FAQ (or the MAQ, for that matter).
|
| It is clear that the 'default' action is different from the rest in that
is
| always used as a last resort, but... what happens if you have more than
one
| rule that match a given message? is the first one applied? or the last
one?

| Example:
|
| High Scoring Spam Actions = %rules-dir%/hispam.actions.rules
|
| and, in hispam.actions.rules:
|

| FromOrTo:   default               delete
| From:       someone at example.com   deliver forward guy at example.net
| From:       10.9.8.7              deliver

I believe the default needs to be last or nothing will ever get past it.
"FromorTo:     default "    = bam! goodbye message.
I am pretty sure rules are top to bottom, stopping at first match.

| So, normally, hi-spam messages are deleted.
|
| If a hi-spam message comes from 'someone at example.com' it is delivered to
the
| intended recipient and a copy is delivered to 'guy at example.net'.
|
| If a hi-spam message comes from the IP 10.9.8.7, it is delivered to the
| intended recipient.
|
| Now, what would happen if a message comes from the IP 10.9.8.7 and the
| envelope from is 'someone at example.com'? is it delivered? and a copy to
| 'guy at example.net'?
|
| If I changed the order, would the copy to 'guy at example.net' NOT be
delivered?