Listing MailScanner on Sourceforge and the OpenProtect softwa re project

Matthew Day Matthew.Day at BUCKINGHAM.AC.UK
Mon Jan 19 19:21:06 GMT 2004

Tristan

__I know mine isn't the usual scenario__ but coming to MailScanner from a
Windows background, I found the current MS install gives pretty much the
perfect balance between ease of use and shooting-self-in-foot avoidance.

The installation was simple and automated enough for a Linux newbie to do in
a relaxed evening's work (starting at taking the server out of the box and
ending with configuring AV scanning, adding custom SA rules and customising
the default spam handling behaviour and user alert messages) but it did
require me to find out a bit about what I was doing. For example, to learn
enough about Sendmail to configure the server to relay to my test lab
mailhub.
One particular strong point of the MailScanner installation was that it told
me when required packages were missing, a quick Google told me how to add
them.