Bayesian shenanigans (i.e. problems)

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Thu Jan 15 10:38:23 GMT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004, Peter Bates wrote:

> [...]
> I upgraded to MS 4.25 (RPM version), and SA 2.61 [...]
>
> Here's an 'ls -lh':
>
> -rw-------    1 postfix  postfix       661 Dec 27 23:06 bayes_journal
> -rw-r--r--    1 postfix  postfix       40M Dec 27 23:06 bayes_seen
> -rw-------    1 postfix  postfix      265M Dec 27 23:06 bayes_toks
> -rw-------    1 postfix  postfix      2.7G Dec 27 23:01 bayes_toks.new
> -rw-r--r--    1 postfix  postfix      4.8M Oct 15 09:22 old_bayes_seen
> -rw-r--r--    1 postfix  postfix       22M Oct 15 09:22 old_bayes_toks
>
> This system has only been auto-learning, and I've also tried sa-learn
> --rebuild.
>
> Are these unreasonable sizes? Should I be setting some other
> configuration parameter to ensure smaller sizes? Which of these files
> (presumably not the 2.7G one!) is actually being used anyway?

"Me, too!" (bayes_toks ~ 50MB, bayes_toks.new ~ 1.4GB).  Glad I'm not
alone.

This doesn't feel right.  Both the bayes_toks and bayes_toks.new seem to
maintain recent update times for a day or so.  Eventually the ".new" seems
to become quiet (and thus old(!)) but still hangs around.

An "sa-learn --rebuild" seems to fix it (for paranoia I shut down MS when
doing this).  But all this feels somewhat sub-optimal.

> ... any advice would be most appreciated!

Ditto.